7.2.07

On your knees....

I was driving home this afternoon, reached the climb up the mountain and found myself stuck behind a car that wanted to start the 90km/hr climb at 60km/hr. Being really patient I waited until there was a nice break before changing into the fast lane, knowing I'd have to allow time to get the revs up again.
There was a car a fair way back that was coming reasonable fast but I assumed all was ok to change. So now I'm travelling in the fast lane not quite neck and neck with the car I was going to overtake and the car that was a fair way back is getting closer to my tail.
To make things worse flashing lights and sirens start as I pull just ahead of the car I'm overtaking and the lights and sirens are from the unmarked police car that is now on my tail. I overtake as quickly as possible while still being safe in the rain, to get tooted by the cop car as it zooms off.
We haven't even made it to the 70km/hr zone of the climb and I'm grumbling to myself about how it wasn't really fair to be tooted and mentally going back over the whole situation to ensure I hadn't done anything wrong. Thus I persisted past Lapstone and Glenbrook.
As I neared the intersection at Blaxland Maccas, I noticed about 3 cop cars and a firetruck with another arriving while I waited at the lights. Atleast one car had been written off in a crash on the eastbound side of the highway. I began to feel a bit better as it made sense that the tooting cop would want to get there pretty quickly.
When I was passing Blaxland Public School, an ambulance was heading to the accident. It was at this point in time that had I not been driving I would have got down on my knees and begged for forgiveness. My selfishness was right before my eyes. I'd driven right passed a serious accident and hadn't given one thought to the people involved and whether they were ok. I'd even wasted the time as I was driving passed Blaxland shops when I could have been praying for them. Even though it was raining outside making visibility difficult I still began to cry. How many reminders do we need before stuff will finally sink in! The devotion at school this morning was on prayer and making the most of every opportunity and one example had been praying while driving. This afternoon it was as if God said 'on your knees...'.

No comments: